Canada PM slams world leaders for not supporting Israel
Canada’s prime minister Stephen Harper expressed dismay Thursday at the growing lack of support for Israel across the world and criticized international leaders for failing to back the Jewish state.
“There’s nothing more shortsighted in Western capitals in our time than the softening of support we’ve seen for Israel around the globe,” he said, calling the country “the one stable, democratic ally in this part of the world.”
Speaking during a visit to New York City, Harper also touched on Syria as he urged “extraordinary caution” on the idea of arming the opposition.
“We should not fool ourselves about what’s happening in Syria,” he said, saying there is “brutality and extremism on both sides.”
“To start talking about arming unnamed people whose objectives we don’t understand, I think, is extremely risky,” Harper said
Warren Buffett buys out Israeli tool firm Iscar for $2 billion
U.S. billionaire Warren Buffett, who owns 80 percent of the Israeli-based company, buys the remaining 20% • Israel stands to benefit from the deal with tax revenues of over $1 billion.
In a huge transaction for the Israeli economy, world famous investor Warren Buffett completed the purchase of Iscar from the Wertheimer family. Buffet had acquired 80 percent of the Israeli company in 2006. On Wednesday, Buffett's company, Berkshire Hathaway Inc., acquired the company's remaining 20% of shares for 2.05 billion U.S. dollars.
"The most respected and important investor in the world is voting with his feet," said Eitan Wertheimer, chairman of the IMC group, which operates Iscar. "Israel is a good place to invest."
USJ head Pamela T. Reid Israel bound
University of St. Joseph President Pamela Trotman Reid is departing in late May for a week-long study tour of Israel's education system, including its social, cultural and economic influences, the West Hartford school says.